Sunday 4 October 2015

apple butterscotch pudding




A little over a month ago, I baked Apple Butterscotch Pudding. Today, for the third time, the little ones requested it for dessert. It is definitely a winner. The kind of pudding childhood memories are made of.

I have no doubt it will become an autumn staple over the coming years. Warming, sticky and sweet. An easy favourite.

apple butterscotch pudding

ingredients

2 large cooking apples, peeled and chopped into cubes
125g self-raising flour
1/4 tsp salt
200g brown sugar
100g butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
200ml milk
2 tbsp golden syrup
150ml boiling water

method

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius.
Spread the chopped apples in an even layer on the bottom of a medium sized oven proof dish.
Melt the butter gently and leave aside to cool.
Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir in half of the sugar.
In a jug, mix the milk, egg, vanilla extract and melted butter.
Pour the wet mix into the dry ingredients and whisk to bring together into a loose batter.
Pour the batter evenly over the apples.
Make a syrup by placing the remaining sugar, golden syrup and boiling water in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil and dissolve the sugar.
Pour the syrup over the batter mixture in the dish. The syrup will gradually sink into the apples and batter, creating a butterscotch sauce beneath the sponge.
Bake for 40 minutes in the oven until the top is browned and slightly springy.

This pudding is best served warm with your preference of custard, fresh cream or ice cream. Although thinking about it now, there's no reason you couldn't have all three. I won't tell.

The recipe is adapted from Rachel Allen's Everyday Kitchen cookbook, a collection of delicious recipes for family mealtimes.

Wishing you all a lovely week. I hope you enjoy the pudding if you find time to give it a go.
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. It looks delicious, I'm off to get my notebook to write it down immediately. It just so happens I picked up some free Bramleys yesterday. Thanks for the idea. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, hooray for copy and paste! This is going on my desktop. It would go down a treat with my boys :)
    Bramleys are something I always buy at the market so it'll be nice to do something different with them. Thank you for the recipe!
    Have a lovely week.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love apple crumble but this could be a great alternative. It's got the fruit and cake layer plus butterscotch sauce--all very yummy! I'm going to give this a go. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes please! I'd like a bowl right now to cheer up this wet, grey and miserable day. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could eat a comforting bowl of that right NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow yummy, going to try this outx thanks for sharingxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa Bee that looks like my kind of pud. Thanks for sharing. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Bee,
    I have written this recipe down. It looks divine. Definitely making this one, thanks for sharing!
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm!! Delicious!! Just the right sort of pudding for a cold and wet day - like today! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds delicious and so easy to make. It reminds me of bread pudding. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Hope you're doing well, Bee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This recipe sounds and looks delicious. I am sure it will be a winner with my husband and son! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you adopt me and feed me I will call you mummy.
    Too creepy?
    Possibly.
    This looks yummy - I have bookmarked this for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting... I don't believe that we could ever tire of the usual crumble, but this sounds like a sweet alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apple. Butterscotch. Pudding. I'm there, looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for taking the time to visit .... it's always really lovely to hear from you.

I love to read your messages .... please stop by again if you've asked me a question or want to chat.

Bee x

© the linen cloud. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig