Thursday, 23 August 2012

mollie makes: august

Well here goes.  My first Mollie Makes project reveal.  Teeny tiny bunting on a top for my little fairy.


After flicking through the August issue of Mollie Makes I decided to try the mini bunting.  As you can see I used the tutorial as inspiration, choosing triangular bunting and a little top instead of the skirt.  

I won't even attempt to regurgitate the tutorial but here is a little of the process.  I chose the fabric and decided on template size for the little triangles.
I cut them, stacked up with my rotary cutter and sewed them up.  I added bias binding, a narrow satin type I had in my stash.

I decided to hand sew this part as the bunting is so small it was a bit of a faff with the sewing machine.  I also liked that you could have invisible stitches along the tape.  Then I stitched it onto the top, a basic little long sleeved cotton t-shirt.

And now the before and after.


I enjoyed completing this project although i'm not really sure if i would do it again.  The bunting was a little fiddly.  I will sticking to larger scale versions for draping gaily around the house.

I have ear-marked a few other projects I would like to give a whirl.  When my crochet skills improve I wouldn't mind trying the star garland.  It would make a cute festive decoration.

And I will definitely be giving stamp carving a go.  It's been on my to-do list for quite a while.

Did any of you make anything lovely from issue seventeen? 
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. Bee, that is so gorgeous! What a lucky little fairy. As you know, I'm making the star garland and as a beginner crocheter ( is that a word??) am finding it very easy to follow the pattern. Give it a try, it's fun and will indeed make a fab Christmas garland. Looking forward to see what you pick from the next issue too :-)
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gilly ... I am pleased with the little top ... crocheter ... I think that makes sense ... will definitely give the garland a go ... I saw your stars on your blog ... they look fabbidoso ...:) Bee x

      Delete
  2. I love it! how cute. Bunting is one of my all time fav things. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bit of a thing for bunting too ... Bee x

      Delete
  3. Ahhh I see now, it's a very cute top, I prefer it to the skirt in the magazine. I am interested in the stamping too and will give that a go soon. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah ... I couldn't really see myself wearing the skirt and this way my little girl lucked out with a pretty new top ... Bee x

      PS Looking forward to seeing your stamping exploits :)

      Delete
  4. It's great, she will love it! I've been making bunting all day, I will be dreaming triangles tonight! Ada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you ... you must have built up quite a stock ... can't wait to see it all .. Bee x

      Delete
  5. I agree. It looks great on a little girls' top, perfect! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bea, it's so beautiful! I love it. It really works on a child's t-shirt. I too was very tempted to try the star garland and also the crochet edging on the towels project. But I still have to finish my makes from issues 13 and 14 before I can start on issue 17 - I'd better get cracking! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gillian ... I was delighted with the way it turned out ... will definitely try the star garland too ... looking forward to seeing your makes ... it is a great idea to make something from each issue .. I am going to through past copies and try a few more makes myself ... Bee x

      Delete
  7. Oh well done Bee, so cute and in fact I think this is cuter than the skirt in the mag so you not only completed a mollie makes project but you made it better...hurrah for you :o) I'm thinking of attempting the Nicki Trench star bunting from this issue seeing as I appear to be a Nicki Trench addict....might turn out nice for baby's room (if I ever get it started!!)....have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garland would be lovely hung up in a baby's room ... although not strung around the cot in the picture ... got my health and safety hat on ... have a lovely weekend too ... think the sun may shine ... Bee x

      Delete
  8. The top is just adorable! I will have to keep this project in mind when my little one gets a bit older..I just love the bunting :)
    Have a lovely weekend x
    Magie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magie ... it is cute and very pretty on ... Bee xx

      Delete
  9. That top is absolutely darling, so pretty. Great job :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie ... you are too kind ... Bee xx

      Delete

Thank you so so much for taking the time to visit .... it's always really lovely to hear from you.

I love to read your messages .... please stop by again if you've asked me a question or want to chat.

Bee x

© the linen cloud. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig