Wednesday 30 October 2013

great big stitched postcard swap: celebrate


First things first, thank you all so much for your well wishes for our little man.  He has bounced back to health and will be returning to school after mid term break and we are so relieved.

A few weeks ago on instagram I found a link to the Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap organised by Do What You Love for Life.

"The Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap is a global swap of stitched postcard love, where people across the world make a postcard-sized piece of art using any materials they like. The only rules are that it needs to include some kind of stitching, and it needs to fit with that quarter’s swap theme."


As I love happy mail, I didn't hesitate in signing up.  The theme was celebrate so after being assigned my swap partner, it was time to get creative and make my postcard.

I loved playing around with different ideas and really enjoyed creating my postcard.  I sometimes become a little paralysed by uncertainty.  Will my partner like what I make, is it good enough but this time I just took the bull by the horns, didn't overthink it and made this.


I love nature and in particular all things floral, and as autumn had just arrived I thought 'celebrate every bloom' was an apt choice.  A reminder to cherish every flower before winter sets in.

I used origami paper, painted cotton and scrap booking paper for my card, drawing the blooms with ink and pencil.  I then used machine stitches for the border around the words and added bunting for a hit of happy.

I parcelled it up and popped it in the post to Julia my swap partner.

I was fairly pleased with my efforts but after visiting the Flickr group I felt a bit amateur.  There are some really beautiful tiny works of art.  You should take a look.


Swaps like these are always creative, fun and bring much happiness.  I was delighted to receive this beautiful postcard from Julia.  I love it!  I think I might have lucked out on this one.

The Great Big Stitched Postcard Swap was a whole lot of fun.  I'm looking forward to the next one.  What about you, are you tempted?
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Such a cool idea, I like the sound of having a go but don't want to stress myself out with pressure! Competition looks high ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of postcard-sized art. One year at the Art Gallery of Toronto they asked people to create some artwork on a postcard and mail it to them. They collected all the postcards and absolutely FILLED a room with a continuous display of all the postcards people mailed in. It was really incredible ... so much variety from childlike drawings to life drawings! Your swap sounds like a lot of fun, and I'll have to keep a lookout for the next one. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours is not amateurish at all. It is fantastic and I bet that your swap partner will be totally delighted with it.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very tempted, what a great way to get instant inspiration in the post. I love that yellow doodle paper. I have a soft spot for scrapbooking paper. I love you design. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! I like that it's all postcard-sized, so everyone gets a little treasure that is easy to display and very inspirational! I really love the colours and design you used. Happy! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've done a fantastic job there Bee, and you've been sent such a lovely one too! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely idea. The little postcard you made is really lovely, as is the one you received in return.
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bee your card is very elegantly finished...I love it...so you....tasteful, chic and gorgeous!
    bestest d x
    I will look out for the next one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is gorgeous - mine would be pants!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have done a wonderful job there Bee and it is really far from amateurish, in fact I am sure there will be a few wanting to buy it. I like the idea of it being postcard size. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your card is really nice, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun! I like yours, the message is sincere which counts more than anything. The card you received from Julia is fab. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for taking the time to visit .... it's always really lovely to hear from you.

I love to read your messages .... please stop by again if you've asked me a question or want to chat.

Bee x

© the linen cloud. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig