Thursday 8 November 2012

lovely things: abigail brown

As you may have guessed I have a bit of a thing for birds.

I seem to be inexplicably drawn to all manner of beautiful art featuring our feathered friends so today I thought I would share one of my absolute favourites, Abigail Brown.





Abigail is a continuous collector of fabrics, either bought new or used items she gathers to give new life to. Her pieces might be formed from her old pyjamas, someone's curtains from the 1970's or her friend's old skirt. She loves the colour and vibrancy of the new fabrics but the life that still lives on in an old garment or piece of cloth, and enjoys the process of turning it into something new. Her work centres around animals because they fascinate and inspire her.

Her work is all hand made; hand sewn by Abigail herself in her studio. Each piece is exquisitely crafted with great love and attention to detail. Whilst pieces are often replicated, no two will ever be the same and that is what makes each one such a treasure.


Abigail is very talented, creating her beautiful little creatures using preloved materials and her amazing skill.  I find it astonishing how real the birds look. Pop along to the website and take a peep.  I promise you won't be disappointed.

source: all photographs property of Abigail Brown

I have one of the beautiful owl prints and I hope to save my pennies and one day give one of Abigail's little birds a home.
SHARE:

17 comments

  1. Oh Bee they are amazing! going to check her out, thank you for link,
    Daisy J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Daisy ... have a lovely weekend ... Bee xx

      Delete
  2. I am speechless.. She is an amazing talented lady. I have never seen anything like it! I especially love the red birds and swans....my favorite! Thanks for sharing this amazing story! Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Shari ... her birds are simply stunning ... Bee xx

      Delete
  3. Her work is amazing! Another favourite of mine is Tamar Morgendorff (www.tmogy.com) oh and also Abby Glassenberg (http://www.whileshenaps.typepad.com) There are so many talented craftsters out there! I also share your love of birds...I am definately more than a little obsessed!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for these lovely links ... more lovely things to covet ... Bee xx

      Delete
  4. Oh they are so beautiful, and so life like!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Victoria ... I am mesmerised by how lifelike they are ... Bee xx

      Delete
  5. I shall go and check her out, so beautiful and delicate :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so amazing. Thanks for sharing xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her work is awesome isn't, I've been coveting one of her birds for a good while. I hope we can both give a home to one some day :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, these are amazing - so life-like!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness these are very nice indeedy - just right for the Christmas tree...
    Best wishes
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are just beautiful. I had not heard of Abigail Brown - thanks for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there Bee! i've got a bit of a thing about birds too...and these are just gorgeous - thanks for sharing...i might have to start saving up. Hope you have a good weekend - Caroline XXX

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a talented lady, the birds are just stunning! I will have to check out her website, thanks for sharing.
    Have a fab weekend x
    Magie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for taking the time to visit .... it's always really lovely to hear from you.

I love to read your messages .... please stop by again if you've asked me a question or want to chat.

Bee x

© the linen cloud. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig