Wednesday 30 July 2014

the year in books: july


For the year in books last month I read Life after Life by Kate Atkinson. I loved it. Unreservedly, in fact.

It is beautifully written, brimming with well drawn, interesting characters and has an original, unstructured format. The novel raises the question 'What if you had the chance to live your life again and again, until you finally got it right?' 

There have been rave reviews about Life after Life but I know some people haven't gotten on with it. Persevere, I think it is well worth the effort. I loved it and quickly became wrapped up in Ursula's lives. It will be a joy to read again.

This month I am reading That Summer at Hill Farm by Miranda France.

Joining in as always with Laura.
SHARE:

14 comments

  1. I still need to try Life After Life. I usually like Kate Atkinson. I will have to look for this one too, thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Behind the Scenes at the Museum - that seems a very lomg time ago! Will keep an eye out for this one at the library.
    Enjoy your August reading!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the typos, it's early in the day :)

      Delete
  3. I've yet to read a Kate Atkinson, but she's on my list so thanks for the recommendation. Happy weekend, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bea, I love Kate Atkinson. Reading fell off my radar but if anything would get me back to it, it would be her. Enjoy the sushine Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life after Life is in a queue that grows weekly! Not seen this month's choice before though...! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recommendation, just in time for summer hols! Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh very good.. I do like a book with a different structure. Must pop this one on my list Bee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that you enjoyed it!! I hope that this months is just as good. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read those books and loved them so much .I have never read anything by Miranda but thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always searching for a good read, thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't read Life After Life; sounds intriguing though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read this last year and enjoyed it. Not good on my Kindle though as I kept wanting to flick back to check out previous lives which is annoying on an e reader.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your book reviews, you have a knack for writing them. You've made Life After Life sound very appealing. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so so much for taking the time to visit .... it's always really lovely to hear from you.

I love to read your messages .... please stop by again if you've asked me a question or want to chat.

Bee x

© the linen cloud. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig